This 15-min amazing creamy flavorful no oil chickpea hummus is simple, quick, and easy to make, and did I mention there is no oil?! Chickpea hummus is a great source of protein and fiber, and it only takes 15-min to make this flavorful no oil hummus. I like to make my own chickpea hummus, versus store bought, and this no oil hummus is super quick and easy to whip up. With its creamy texture, you will want to put this no oil chickpea hummus on EVERYTHING. Perfect as an afternoon snack with sliced veggies and a few healthy crackers. Let’s GO!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans, and they are one of my very favorite foods to eat.
Not only are they flavorful and healthy for you but they are also loaded with protein and fiber, and chickpeas are very versatile in recipes. I even use them to make my Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies!
This amazing chickpea hummus is so creamy and flavorful, and it takes less than 15-minutes to make!
Hummus can be used in many different ways but I most often use it as a delicious sandwich spread, lathering it thick onto a couple pieces of my home made sourdough bread, and then adding other toppings like avocado, sprouts, tomatoes and fresh herbs.
I will sometimes turn my sandwich into a panini, which is basically just grilling up your bread nice and warm, like a grilled cheese. This gives me the feeling of a more warm and hearty meal, and it feels like I’m eating a grilled cheese, only healthier, and without all of the saturated fat.
In order to keep things simple and fast, use canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans, but if you have the time, you can definitely use dried beans and just cook them first before using them for this hummus recipe.
If I am having a party or gathering, and I want to make a lot of hummus, I will use dry beans instead of canned. I just cook some beans in bulk and then use the measured amount needed here for this recipe.
If you are on a budget, then dried beans are definitely the way to go because all dry beans are relatively inexpensive.
Feel free to play with the amount of spices in this recipe, as it is not an exact science and everyone’s taste preferences are different. For me, whenever I make this hummus, it tastes different every time!
Notes about this recipe:
This chickpea hummus is loaded with nutritious ingredients. Here are just some of their great benefits:
- Chickpeas – a great source of protein and fiber
- Tahini – another great protein source as well as healthy fats
- Garlic – part of the Allium family, and according to this article here, garlic boosts your immune system, helps control blood pressure, and reduces inflammation (think arthritis).
- Lemon – a great source of vitamin C
- Spices like cumin and turmeric – similar benefits as garlic. This article here talks about how turmeric works as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and helps with metabolic conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes.
As caregivers, it is very important that we take the time to eat healthy foods throughout the day. This will help our immune system stay strong to fight off illness.
Remember, we must take care of ourselves, our whole body, mind, and spirit, so that we can in turn take care of our loved ones – especially our loved ones with PD or any other chronic disease.
So now let me show you how I make this amazing, delicious, creamy, and flavorful chickpea hummus in no time flat.
15-minutes, here we go, set the timer!
Handy kitchen tools for this recipe:
- Food processor or a strong blender like this Vitamix (truly the best kitchen tool I own!)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Glass container with a lid to store the hummus (These glass mason jars are what I use for storing almost all of my kitchen leftovers)
Creamy Chickpea Hummus Ingredients:
- Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) – beans are loaded with fiber and an excellent source of protein. Frankly I think we all should be eating beans every single day!
- Tahini – tahini should be nothing more than just ground up sesame seeds. Another great source of protein, and healthy fats.
- Fresh garlic – awesome for flavor but also garlic has some great anti-inflammatory properties!
- Lemon juice – great for vitamin C and lemon gives this hummus the perfect tang!
- Ground cumin – so flavorful, and another great anti-inflammatory property.
- Ground turmeric – ditto as the cumin. I’ve loved cooking more and more recipes with this amazing spice.
- salt – my preference is sea salt
Optional ingredients you might want to consider:
- Apple cider vinegar – for additional tang
- Fresh cilantro – you can chop a few sprigs up finely and sprinkle it over the top of the hummus once it’s all mixed up.
- Fresh parsley – same goes for fresh parsley. Just chop up a few sprigs and sprinkle over the top.
- Smoked paprika – gives the hummus just a hint of that deep smoky flavor. And it also makes it look super pretty when sprinkled over the top.
Creamy Chickpea Hummus Preparation:
Rinse the chickpeas well, until the water no longer gets foamy, and let sit to drain.
Peel the cloves of garlic.
Slice and juice the lemon.
Measure out your spices and stir to combine.
Creamy Chickpea Hummus Directions:
In a food processor, or a very strong blender, add the chickpeas, tahini, minced garlic, 1/2 of the lemon juice, and spices.
Blend until smooth while scraping down the sides of the processor with a spatula.
Add the remaining lemon, or water, 1 tablespoon at a time to reach your desired creamy texture and taste.
NOTE: If you want a more tangy taste to your hummus, add the lemon juice 1 tablespoon at a time. If the taste is already satisfying but you desire a smoother and creamier texture, then add water, instead of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon at a time.
How to store:
Spoon the hummus into a glass container with a lid, and place in the fridge for storage.
Your delicious, amazing, creamy, flavorful hummus should last in the fridge for approximately 1-week!
Check out this cookie recipe, where I also use chickpeas to create a high-protein, flourless, gluten-free, delicious treat – without the guilt!
check out these other delicious healthy recipes
If you make this creamy flavorful chickpea hummus, I would love it if you gave it 5 stars! Please comment below. You can also follow me, and life on Cape Cod, on my Instagram page @dawndunkin.
Never miss a post! Get recipes straight to your inbox.
Printable recipe for you to enjoy:
15-Min Amazing Creamy Flavorful Chickpea Hummus, and NO OIL!
- 1 Food Processor This is the food processor I use for almost all of my blending recipes.
- 2 cup garbanzo beans Already cooked. About 1½ cans. NOTE: Garbanzo beans are also called chickpeas.
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced.
- 1 medium lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans well.
- Place all of the ingredients, and only ½ of the lemon juice, in a food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula if needed.
- If you'd like a smoother creamier texture, add more lemon juice, or water, 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired taste and consistency.
- Spoon your hummus into a glass container, and place in the refrigerator for storage.
Leave a Reply